As people around Japan were celebrating the New Year on January 1, a magnitude 7.6 earthquake hit Noto peninsula in Ishikawa Prefecture, killing over 100 people and forcing more than 50,000 others to evacuate their homes.
One of the largest communities in this remote peninsula is Wajima, famous for its durable and beautiful lacquerware called Wajimanuri that dates back to the mid-Muromachi (1336-1573) period. The use of Urushi lacquer is believed to have existed in this area for much longer.
German artist Rabea GEBLER who is studying traditional wood turning and urushi lacquering in Yamanaka, Ishikawa, is fundraising to directly help the craftspeople of Wajima whose livelihoods have been severely affected by the earthquake. Supporting Rabea’s fundraiser is important because she will personally disperse funds to craftspeople in Wajima to buy materials and tools that they lost in the disaster.
To help Rabea raise money, Entoten is raffling off a very special Kintsugi repaired wood-fired tea bowl made by renowned potter Shumpei YAMAKI of West Branch, Iowa.
This beautiful tea bowl has been expertly repaired by Yuko GUNJI, a Kintsugi artist in New York, using urushi lacquer; a key and vital component of traditional Kintsugi repair. I think that this piece of work repaired by urushi, which Wajima is famous for, imbues our hopes for the swift recovery of this area through this bowl.
Thank you in advance for helping us support the craftspeople in Wajima.
How this raffle works:
Raffle tickets are €20 each and the number of tickets that can be purchased is unlimited (€100 donation = 5 tickets)
1. Donations eligible for this raffle must be made between February 20th through March 2nd.
2. Donate desired amount to Rabea’s “Japanese Craft Revival after earthquake” fund on the gofundme page.
3. Forward the gofundme receipt by email to firstname.lastname@example.org to enter the raffle.
4. Raffle ends on Saturday, March 2nd. Receipts should be submitted to the above address by 00:00 am on March 3rd. The winner will be announced and notified on March 3rd.
5. Entoten will cover shipping costs within the US.